Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    dorset
    Posts
    10

    Shelf Life Of Trimix

    Hi,

    Can anyone let me know the maximum length of time trimix should be left in cylinders?

    I have had an 18/45 fill in my twins since late october when my last gas dive was blown out, I am wondering whether to drain them or will the gas be okay in another couple of months?

    James

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    120

    Smile

    It will be okay- we breath the same air thats been around from millions of years

  3. #3
    LCS
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Evidently Chickentown
    Posts
    1,330
    Best to contact the shop where you got it and ask them what the sell by date was on the helium they used. If you are worried about it then you could freeze it until you need it.

  4. #4
    GUE Instructor
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London & Plymouth
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardland
    Best to contact the shop where you got it and ask them what the sell by date was on the helium they used. If you are worried about it then you could freeze it until you need it.
    what temperature does helium freeze at? that might be a bit tough at home :D
    ...dive planning again ...

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    808
    Serious answer (well ish) - the tanks will need to be visually inspected or hydro'd before the gas will have gone off (i.e. it will last at least 2.5 years).


    Cheers
    Al
    CCR Explorers

  6. #6
    Resident purveyor of shiney kit....
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Midlands UK
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Moffat
    It will be okay- we breath the same air thats been around from millions of years
    Yeah , and it's second hand if you're lucky :p
    Phill
    -----------------------------
    Salvo Lights:sabre:, DirZone Gear , Frog Wings

    Dive ? http://www.divingniknaks.com


  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by james clarke
    Hi,

    Can anyone let me know the maximum length of time trimix should be left in cylinders?

    I have had an 18/45 fill in my twins since late october when my last gas dive was blown out, I am wondering whether to drain them or will the gas be okay in another couple of months?

    James
    Assuming you had no moisture in the cylinders when they were filled this gas will last forever. If the seats and o-ring on the neck of the valve are secure you should not have any gas loss either. If there was water in the bottom of the cylinder it will begin to rust and consume the oxygen and begin to weaken the cylinder and cause other problems.

    I've had some sets of twins sit for upto 18 months (left over from extra expedition sets) and they analyze up perfectly.

    I would not hesitate to use your set in a few months at all.

    Cheers
    Joel Silverstein, VP, COO
    www.techdivinglimited.com
    Leading supplier of technical equipment world wide

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •